Sunday, December 23, 2007

Richard Stallman - The Santa of Software

Again, it has been quite some time I have not blog anything.
Lately the schedule is a bit tight for me. But the other reason is lately I have not come across anything that I feel like putting it online to share.
But today while reading Glyn Moody's Rebel Code, I came across this paragraph that describe about the hero of free software, Mr Richard Matthew Stallman, that I would really like to quote and share with you:

Stallman has not only devoted much of his time and energy to this cause, he has given his money, too. In 1990, he won a McArthur Foundation fellowship, worth somewhere in the neighbourhood of $230,000, divided into quarterly installments over five years. "That was a lot more money than I need to live on, and more income than I had ever had before. Rather than spending it, I decided to invest most of it in mutual funds so that I can live on it for the rest of my life while working on free software or another worthy cause."
He has no car: "I live in a city where you don't need to have a car." He rents a room: "I don't want to own a house, I don't want to spend a lot of money. ... "

To me, Mr Stallman is indeed a remarkable man, not only because he has bring the world the gift of software freedom, but even more so when comparing his moderate lifestyle to his great success. To the software world, I feel that RMS is indeed the modern day's Santa Claus.

Oh, here I would like to wish all of you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

No comments: